Privacy notice for applicants
Please read this Privacy Notice carefully. It explains why and how we collect your personal data, how we protect them and how long we store them for. We keep your data as securely as reasonably possible and protect them against loss and unauthorised disclosure or access, and we treat your personal data subject to strict compliance with the applicable data protection legislation, particularly the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 of 27 April 2016 (‘GDPR’).
This Privacy Notice has been prepared as a Q&A (‘Questions & Answers’) list.
Who will process my personal data?
The controller for your personal data is the following legal entity for which you have applied.
By applying through our system, you agree that your personal data (CV, covering letter, etc.) can be passed on within the various entities of the Daimler Group. If you do not agree with this principle, it is your responsibility to inform us accordingly as soon as possible.
For what purpose and on what legal basis are my personal data processed?
The purpose for which your personal data are processed is to register your application for employment in our company and, if this application leads to the start of a selection procedure, a profile will be made of you, meaning that Mercedes-Benz will process all the necessary data required to assess your application with a view to possible recruitment. This assessment can also include an assessment by an external party.
The processing of your personal data is therefore necessary to enable measures to be taken prior to the conclusion of an employment contract, and it is in the legitimate interest of Mercedes-Benz i.e. the interest of conducting an assessment of you before making an offer of employment, which we feel is also in your interest or at least does not outweigh your interest.
In the event of a positive assessment and decision to recruit you, we will also use your personal data to prepare the employment contract.
In the event of a decision not to recruit you for Mercedes-Benz, we will retain your personal data for a specified period (see point 7) in the legitimate interest of Mercedes-Benz, in particular to be able to contact you in the future if any opportunities arise that fit your profile.
What categories of personal data will be processed?
Personal data comprises all information relating to you or on the basis of which you can be identified.
Anonymous data, without the possibility of you being identified, is therefore not deemed to be personal data.
For the purposes stated above, the processing of personal data includes:
- standard information related to your identity (name, first name or names, address, etc.);
- personal data (place and date of birth, nationality, gender, telephone number, e-mail address, hobbies and interests, etc.);
- your photograph, if you have provided this voluntarily (e.g. enclosed with your CV);
- data related to your professional experience (profile, details of previous employers, end of last employment and the work performed, special projects, etc.), including a reference check, if you have given references in your CV;
- data relating to you education/training (diplomas, certificates, internships, special training courses, etc.);
- knowledge of languages;
- if applicable, whether or not you have a work or residence permit for the European Economic Area (EEA);
- any other personal data you provide us with in your application, CV or covering letter relating to the performance of the position;
- digital assessment via the Internet (presence on social media), to the extent that this presence is publicly available to us;
- all other personal data (apart from the aforementioned) that has to be processed under the law.
You are not obliged to provide us with this information. If you do not do so, it may have an adverse effect on your chances of being recruited.
Who will have access to my personal data?
HR and the manager(s) of the position you have applied for will have access to your personal data on a strict ‘need-to-know’ basis for the purposes set out above.
We do not forward your data to other third parties, with the possible exception of ‘assessment centres’ etc. or any other third party if this is relevant to the recruitment procedure.
The confidentiality of your personal data is guaranteed.
Will my personal data be shared outside my country of residence?
For your application, it may be necessary for an affiliated Mercedes-Benz entity forming part of the Daimler Group and which may be located in a third country outside the EEA to have access to your personal data in order to process and/or store the same. To ensure that your personal data is processed in accordance with the principles concerning data protection, Mercedes-Benz has adopted appropriate safeguards in line with the GDPR.
How long will my personal data be stored for?
We store your personal data for the period necessary in the light of the purposes set out above.
If the application does not result in an employment relationship, your personal data will be stored for a period of one year after the end of the recruitment procedure for the purposes discussed under point 2 above.
What rights can I rely on in relation to the processing of my personal data by Mercedes-Benz?
You may contact Mercedes-Benz at any time for assistance with the application or the management of your personal data. You also have the right to contact Mercedes-Benz at any time with the request to:
- Inspect your personal data. This also includes the right to request a copy.
- Rectification of your personal data, including the supplementation of incomplete data if this has not been stored accurately;
- Have your personal data erased as soon as Mercedes-Benz does not have or no longer has legitimate reason for processing the same;
- Restriction of data processing if you dispute the processing or the correctness of the processed data or if you wish to retain certain personal data with a view to possible legal action when Mercedes-Benz no longer needs the same for the purposes set out under point 2.
You have the right at any time to object to processing in relation to which Mercedes-Benz has based its action on the legitimate interest under point 2. Mercedes-Benz will then cease processing unless there are compelling justified grounds for further processing. For example, you will be able to lodge an objection to the processing of your data following an unsuccessful application. In that case, Mercedes-Benz will delete your data immediately and stop any further processing.
You also have the right – if you believe that Mercedes-Benz has not acted in accordance with data protection legislation – to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority of the country in which you reside, where you work or where the alleged infringement was committed.
If you would like more information about the processing of your data, your rights or an explanation of this notice, you can contact us at any time via the following addresses: DSR.firstname.lastname@example.org (NL) or DSR.email@example.com (BE)
We reserve the right to amend this Privacy Notice from time to time, within the limitations of the applicable regulations concerning privacy and data protection.